See ya, San Antonio! And so long, September!

Well, I had quite a crazy week.

Since my race one week ago, things have been nonstop for me, mainly because of work. When your shift starts at 8:00 am and does not end until 7:00 pm and your job is about thirty minutes away from home… Work takes up a lot of your time.

It helps that I get a break in my work week by having Wednesdays off. I cannot begin to explain how great this is! Unfortunately, I did not get such a break last week because I had to switch days with a coworker in order to have Friday off.

I needed Friday off in order to go to a conference in San Antonio. Jocelyn and I hit the road on Thursday night after we got off work. We didn’t get to our hotel until 1:00 am and had to be up at about six in order to be ready and at the Convention Center by 7:30 am (for check-in, breakfast, and to find our way around). We are such girls. The only reason we woke up super-early was so that we could each shower, do our hair, and do our makeup!

We ended up walking to the Convention Center. Downtown San Antonio is a bit creepy in the morning before the sun rises. Fortunately, it was a short 15-minute walk. When we arrived at the Convention Center, we both checked in and quickly bought breakfast items to take into our lecture. We sat through four hours of lectures about our specialty, Neurology. My butt was hurting towards the end and those rooms were freezing. I was wearing a skirt and ballet flats, which made matters worse.

Finally, we had our lunch break. We each received lunch tickets with our registration and headed to the exhibit hall to eat. Of course, NOTHING on the menu was vegan. Even the vegetables appeared to be cooked in butter. So Jocelyn and I left and strolled down the River Walk to a nice little Mexican restaurant. I ordered vegetable enchiladas without cheese and made sure that my beans were not cooked with meat or lard. We sat at a table on the edge of the water and had little ducks come up to us the entire time we ate. They were precious!

After lunch, we returned to the Convention Center for more lectures before heading back to the hotel to change and get ready for dinner. We ate dinner at an Italian restaurant. I, of course, didn’t eat any of the bread. My pasta was delicious, though! The sauce was made of tomatoes and there was basil, onions, and mushrooms. Delicious!

We spent the evening strolling around downtown and along the River Walk, being total tourists. We walked right by the Alamo, which was really small. I was a bit disappointed by it. After all the walking and the lack of sleep, we were both in bed by 10 pm. Old ladies. Hahaha

Saturday morning was brutal. I woke up late and missed my first lecture. I raced to get ready to make it to the second one. I decided that the best and easiest way to get there was to just walk along the River Walk so that’s what I did. It was so hot and humid! Yikes! Thankfully, though, I made it to my lecture with time to spare so I went to buy fruit for breakfast.

When it was lunchtime, Jocelyn and I met up and walked to the mall. We ate Chinese from the food court. Once again, nobody minded me asking how the food was prepared and I was able to enjoy yet another vegan meal! I decided to go shopping because I realized that I did not pack any shorts and as hot and humid as it was in San Antonio (it felt like a swampy jungle out there!), all I wanted was to wear shorts.

That mall is rather small and limited. Only one department store and no Forever 21. What the crap? I ended up finding shorts at Macy’s, along with a cute Star Wars t-shirt and a crystal ring. After all the walking along the river, through the mall, and back to the hotel, I took a nap in my big comfy bed with all six pillows. I woke up just in time to catch the end of the LSU/Georgia game.

The plan for the evening was for us to find a bar to watch the Aggie game, which started at six. It was raining, though, so we watched the first half in our room before finally heading back out to the River Walk. We found a sports bar and lucky for me, they served a vegetarian pita. All I had to do was ask for them to hold the cheese and it was vegan. Success once again! And my Aggies won!

Jocelyn and I did some more strolling around and stopped to have some drinks at one of the restaurants. Throughout the night, I had six different people tell me that they liked my Star Wars shirt! It was a fun night. Jocelyn and I just chit chatted, sang as we walked, and laughed at all the ridiculous things that we each said. We eventually headed back to the hotel. The humidity and the crowds were almost unbearable, but we had fun regardless.

This morning, we slept in, packed our things, got ready, and left our hotel. We had to go back to the Convention Center to pick up our certificates and then it was back on the road to Dallas! The morning in San Antonio was actually nice. It wasn’t as humid and the temperature had dropped. It was crazy cloudy, though. Grey skies style.

It remained cloudy all the way to Waxahachie. By then, the clouds started clearing and once we got to Dallas, it was gloriously sunny! It was the perfect weather to welcome us home!

I had a great time in San Antonio. I wish the weather was nicer and that I had packed more comfortable clothes and shoes. I also wish it wasn’t so dang crowded! But overall, it was a fun and most importantly, I learned a lot at the conference. Also, it was nice to get away, although I did miss my babies!

So that marks the end of my very busy September! I made it. October promises to be quite busy as well, with more football, work, volunteering, the State Fair, haunted houses (I hope), back to running, my second photography class, live music shows, and Halloween celebrations (I hope).

Is this really my life? I love it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s